This past weekend was my niece’s baby shower. Cathy served this casserole, which has become a family standard. It’s easy, it’s delicious and by far, a crowd pleaser!
Best if made the night before.
- 8 slices white bread, cubed
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard or prepared mustard
Optional: Saute onions, mushrooms and some red pepper and add to strata or even some broccoli and squash and tomatoes…be creative!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Start with a square or oval gratin baking dish. I use a Le Creuset oval dish. If you double the recipe, use a large rectangular pan.
1. Grease or spray pan with Pam
2. Put in bread and cheese in layers (optional layer also), ending with cheese. Put other ingredients in a blender or food processor and combine. Pour the mixture over the bread and cheese. Cover the dish and store in refrigerator overnight.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour.
Serves 6 to 8 people